Green tea has definitely proven itself for hundreds of years as a healthy drink option, but have you considered adding it to your skin or hair care routine? The leaves of green tea are steamed fresh rather than being oxidized first which is why they are more beneficial than other tea leaves. This form of processing enables green tea to retain more health benefits.
Green tea contains potent antioxidants that help fight off the free radicals we come into contact with on a daily basis. Though they don't block UV sun rays, these antioxidants do protect skin and hair from sun damage and also help to fight inflammation to calm the skin. Green tea contains more catechins than other forms of tea which contributes to it's antibacterial and antiviral properties.
So how does one incorporate green tea into their beauty routine? Here are a few simple ways to try:
- You could use it as a toner by freezing freshly brewed green tea in an ice tray and thawing out single cubes to use everyday.
- You could use it as the liquid portion of your face mask. I sometimes replace the water in my bentonite clay masks with a couple of tablespoons of fresh brewed green tea to help flush those toxins out.
- Got puffy eyes? After brewing tea bags, simply let them cool and cover your eyelids with them. Sit back and relax while the green tea properties help to reduce the swelling,
- Follow a good shampooing with a green tea hair rinse for strong, shiny hair. Cover hair with tea for at least 10 minutes then rinse with cool water.
- You could also just drink more green tea! Your skin and hair will appreciate it ;)
Do you have a favorite way to incorporate green tea into your routine? Please feel free to share!