Dark spots (or hyperpigmentation) are caused by a variety of things-acne scaring, age, medications and sun damage are just a few. The common kitchen ingredients above may offer you some relief by fading the appearance of those pesky dark spots.
- apple cider vinegar- The acid assists skin in shedding excess skin cells and even helps to even out skin tone. Apply to the affected area and rinse well after 10-15 min.
- lemon juice- it's natural acids have long been used to lighten dark spots. Squeeze the juice from a lemon onto a cotton ball and apply to dark spots twice per day. I sometimes leave this on my skin overnight or just rinse off after about 20 minutes.
- yogurt- Plain yogurt has a high amount of lactic acid and helps to soften and diminish the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Apply twice per day for about 30 minutes then rinse well.
- onion- I have to admit I haven't tried this one! As with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice it's the acid in red onions that make it effective at fading unwanted dark spots. Cut an onion, rub a q-tip on the inside, then apply it to the spots you are trying to rid. Rinse with warm water after about 15 minutes and cleanse with a mild soap to remove the onion smell.
- milk-It's lactic acid make it a success! Soak a cotton ball in milk, apply to spots, and rinse after 15 minutes.
Whatever method you choose be consistent. and. Most times these natural remedies take a bit longer to achieve results than over the counter or prescriptions. BE PATIENT! The results are so worth it! You can be proud to show off your gorgeous skin and save a few bucks in the process....